Thursday 9 March 2017

The value of a name

I took a young trader to one of the most reputable antique dealers that I know, hoping that the old dog would teach the young puppy some tricks. 

He did.

For my very first question I asked the master how important reputation is to a trader?
His answer was emphatic and immediate: "You name is EVERYTHING!"

I made a mental note not only of what he said, but the passionate way with which he said it.

What he said sums up what you will read in volumes of business books. Yet, it is still old news. If you read the Bible, you'd have heard that message 3,000 years ago already. Earlier than that, even, if you understand the Golden Rule:

"A good name is to be more desired than great wealth, Favour is better than silver and gold." - Proverbs 22:1.

No comments:

Post a Comment